[Sign up for our email newsletter to get more articles and workouts]
So, what to do? Sit less, move more—all day long. If you’re reading this, stand up! If you’re listening to music, stand up and move! The muscular effort you use will help burn calories and trigger the important breakdown of fats and sugars in the body. Every time you stand or actively move, you kick those fat-burning processes into gear. When you sit, they stall!
Here are some simple ways to combat your sedentary lifestyle and help you stand up for a longer, healthier life:
– Set your smart phone alarm, computer or clock to ring on the hour to remind you to stand up, refill your cup of water, and visit the bathroom.
– Do this quick yoga routine several times a day.
– Stand up and do some leg raises.
– Take all phone calls on your feet.
– Schedule a “walking date” or learn to take meetings walking. (Remember that famous hot line from the movie The American President: “Walk with me!”)
– Park your car further away and walk to your destination!
– Always take the stairs, instead of the elevator. Even one floor will do your body good.
What do you do to keep active throughout the day? Come talk to us on Twitter!