Why Do a Workout with Music?
Music and exercise go together like peanut butter and jelly. Do you have a favorite workout playlist? It’s worth putting one together. Exercising to music has some big, scientifically-proven benefits:
- Music can boost your mood and stamina during a workout, which could make your sweat session last longer
- Faster-paced music can increase your performance, whether that’s your pace, the number of repetitions you complete or the distance you travel
- Music can distract you from the physical activity, making you focus less on fatigue
How to choose songs for your playlist:
- Select songs that you enjoy – these will boost your levels of serotonin, putting you in a good mood
- Pick songs with a fast-paced, steady beat; you may naturally begin to synchronize your workout with the tempo, and exercise harder
- Add music that you have an emotional connection with: Not only will the song be inspiring, but it can also transport you to another
Some tools to help:
- fm can help you find music that matches your ideal pace on a run, walk or bike ride
- Spring creates walking and running playlists tailored to your activity and musical preferences
- PaceDJ organizes music you’ve already downloaded into playlists that match your pace goals
Start your week strong by working out to music this Monday. A perfectly curated playlist can go a long way! We’d love to hear what playlists you put together. Share with us on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram!