It’s time to take a stand and protest your chair! Use Monday as an opportunity to stand up more regularly. You will be toning your muscles and increasing flexibility and coordination.
Being a bit antsy could be a good thing! According to the Mayo Clinic, “Any extended sitting — such as at a desk, behind a wheel or in front of a screen — can be harmful.” Over many years, sitting stacks up poorly against your heart, weight, circulation, and blood sugar, to name a few.
Start slowly. The point isn’t to stand all day but to remember to stand up or move around when you’ve been sitting for much too long.
- Split your time between sitting and standing by letting a timer do all the work. Set it to remind you to stand up, move around, or stretch in 30-minute intervals.
- On the phone? Stand up or pace.
- Get a glass of water! Use hydration to remind you to get up.
- At the office, stand up in meetings and suggest walking and talking instead of sitting.
- At home, get up off that couch! Fit some steps in while watching TV, either by pacing or walking in place.
- Do some standing yoga poses between long bouts on the computer.
Starting on Monday then continuing throughout the week, be creative and create excuses to get up more from a desk or couch. It will improve your posture, activate your metabolism, and can help you be more alert. Find us on social media to get more out-standing ideas! Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.